Thursday, October 15, 2009

MY ARRIVAL!



With my Departure to Antartica immigration card I climbed up into the C-17 in Christchurch, NZ operated by the US Air Force, and according to Jim, my brother, this is the Cadillac of cargo aircraft. It was like stepping inside a bullet being shot out up into the sky and 5 hours later they tell us that we arrived.... arrived on the Antarctic continent.





A comfortable ride, I sat in the jump seat along the wall and slept with such ease due the the giant red parka (Big Red) that was issued which is like wearing a -50F sleeping bag. And I suppose in some ways it is.


Walking out onto the sea ice on arrival was surreal. I have no words to describe what I felt looking out over the ice field with the Trans Antarctic Mountain range behind. I can only tell you that my smile from within was as radiant as the southern sun itself.

There are dozens of studies going on at any given time during the year and on Wednesday and Sunday nights a different group of scientists proudly explain their work. I arrived on Wednesday and I wasted no time, a friend and I went to listen about the Weddell seal's behavioral patterns while hunting. It is here where I see Shelly, a friend and veteran of The Ice who introduced me to the idea of working here 5 years ago. Great to see a familiar face, meeting her has changed my life in every way in which I currently live. As fascinating as the lecture was my mind was all over the place and I found it hard to focus. I am, well I am in Antarctica.

My living conditions are comfortable and from what I hear, luxurious compared to the other first timers (I only have one roommate and not 3). Bathrooms are shared down the hall, this is probably what I would expect had I gone away to college.

The sun doesn't set and every day is like SUNday but there is a difference in its position in the sky. Overnight light is probably similar to a 5 o'clock afternoon sun..... but wait, I've been living in Alaska 2 years now and don't really know what that means anymore. Anyway, sunglasses are a good idea no matter what time of day/night it is, as well as sunscreen, as my nose is already looking a little like Rudolph.

Today's high was 5F but with the wind chill it was brutal. My 2nd day here, and my first day at work. Great department and co-workers, these next few months are going to be a lot of fun, and a lot of work.



There is a Recreation Department dedicated for our entertainment, including Thursday nights at the New Zealand station a short a distance away is American Night. Not wanting to miss an opportunity we went out to visit our neighbors' bar at Scott base. Here are 2 people cross country skiing on the Ross Ice Shelf.

These days have been packed with activities and lots of information. I am leaving out so much, but I am tiring out quickly of writing. I hope to offer more insight as I go along. There is too much to share; the landscape, people, routine, culture, emotions. I'll need some time to sort this all out. For now I am just enjoying the moment, and my smile.

1 comment: