Friday, November 6, 2009

Out by Myself but Never Alone




I am not in the real world, there is no normalcy here... After Mid-Rats, midnight lunch hour for night workers, at 0200 (2am) the cold clean air beckons and I suit up to tackle the mountain ridge trail up to Arrival Heights. It is literally a narrow ridge on a mountain of volcanic rock. The only sound are of my footsteps and they become music to my ears because otherwise the cold silence was a little eerie. I am so far away from everything that I know, but I am also brought closer to what I am in search of.




The sun doesn't rise, nor does it set but instead it circles us in the sky above as if a halo. It too speaks to me in wondrous colors from the energy and aura of my protectors. It was in the single digits, 5F/-15C, but oddly enough it was the perfect morning.... evening, umm or midday, for me it is all the same. Below is McMurdo Station, and behind, Ob (Observation) Hill, with the Ross Sea Ice Shelf.. and our Annual Sea Ice runway.




Back in town inside the Chapel of the Snows the stained glass window of the Antarctic continent glows from the 5am sun. Notice the penguin.

No comments:

Post a Comment