Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cape Evans



Scott's hut (Robert Falcon Scott) at Cape Evans from the Terra Nova Expedition of 1910 - 1913 in a race to be the first person to reach the South Pole. It was from here where they set out for the Pole arriving only 34 days after Roald Amundsen.. and even worse all men died from starvation on the return only 11 miles from supplies! (Cape Evans is about a 45 minute drive from McMurdo station.) I have only been able to retain bits of the historic elements of Antarctica. I am currently reading 2 books brought from home, so at some point I'll get up to speed on the past events that took place here.



They sewed seaweed into a quilt and placed it in between planks for insulation.



The hut was divided in sections: of supplies, sleeping quarters, study, and kitchen.




Although the hut has been abandoned since 1917 (it was occupied by Shackleton's party from 1915 to 1917) it is so well preserved because of the consistently sub freezing temperatures. You know... my skin seems to be looking better these days..?



The photo of the dogs was posted on the wall above one of the beds. This place was amazing.. I've got too many photos to share.. I could of spent an entire week just sitting inside reaping up the energy from these men, and actually the group had to pry me out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment