Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Road Trip along the Ross Ice Shelf



Living and working in such close proximity most of us jump on any opportunity of a road trip. And so Monday night I am accompanied by 19 others for a drive along the Ross Ice Shelf in the mean looking Delta alongside islands jutting out frozen in the sea ice as we pass Mt Erebus and the Barnes Glacier.



First stop is climbing down into a crevasse which opens up into an ice cave. It was simply breathtaking inside this magical cocoon.






Taking a rest after a climb up the snow dunes in the wheel well of the Delta. It is the first time that I didn't have a hat on outside since my arrival a month ago. It was 19F/-7C... I might as well be in Bermuda!



On the ride back across the barren sea ice a half dozen Emperor penguins cross our path after a stand off with a Weddell seal!!




There are many different species of penguins down here, and although there are thousands of Emperor penguins it is rare to see them on the south side of the island, (that's were I am stationed). Apparently most people who come here have never seen an Emperor, and so not only am I honored I am beyond words!



2 of the penguins came right up to us and were talking up a storm. Their squeal was similar that that of an Namibian elephant but with less gusto, I suppose I'll give them a little slack given their comparative size. We had a stare down with them for about 10 minutes, as they seemed to be just as interested in us as we them. A kinetic energy wave was radiating between us and them..... freezing in fascination.

1 comment:

  1. nice banner you have there! haha.
    Those penguins look huge. So funny you got to chat with them!

    ReplyDelete